Hello all! The holidays are fast approaching. Looking for something different to deck the halls this year? Try this DIY milk bottle vase. I just added a little bit of Christmas flair.
For this little creation, I simply wrapped the milk bottle vase with braided raffia, in three colors. It was then accented with a red ribbon and a wooden button painted in silver, and an adhesive gem.
If you are pressed for time and need a quick gift, click here to purchase from my shop.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
Let’s get started.
Here’s what you will need
- Milk bottle (6” in height)
- Pearlized Raffia Ribbon (red, white & green)
- Wooden button (approx. 1” in diameter)
- Adhesive gems
- Glue gun and sticks, scissors
- Wash milk bottles with soap and warm water. This gets rid of any residue on the glass so the glue will adhere to it.
2. Prepare the raffia for braiding. This step will depend on how fast you braid. Allow two strands of each color to get the thickness shown above. (You may use more or less depending on how thick you want your braid).
3. Cut strands long enough to make one continuous loop around the vase for about half of its height (about 3 to four feet of braid). Tie the strands in a knot at one end. Braid raffia. Try to keep the braid as flat as possible by monitoring the tension.
4. Paint the wooden button in one to two coats of silver paint. The paint I used was somewhat translucent but you may use any color of your choice.
5. Glue gem to the center of the button covering the holes.
6. Cut enough of the red ribbon to wrap around the bottle once with extra left over to fall to the side of the bottle.
Now that you have all the materials prepped let’s put it all together.
7. Heat up the glue gun. Starting at the base of the bottle place a drop of glue on the very edge and adhere the end of the raffia braid.
8. Continue gluing the raffia braid around the vase until you are about two thirds way up. Then end it by gluing and tucking the end in.
9. Take the ribbon and wrap it around the bottle once. Glue in place. Allow ends to fall as shown or in a pattern you desire. Glue ends in place.
10. Place extra raffia strips, two of each color at the center point of the ribbon, arrange and glue in place.
Glue button in place.
This project is perfect for a side table décor or fireplace mantle. You can use multiple vases on the dinner table. Add flowers and floral décor, and voila!
I hope you enjoyed this one. Please drop me a line and let me know of any ideas or variations you tried.